2018 Dr. Anna Steinberger Outstanding Educator Award
The Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission (THGC) is committed to supporting educators across the state who teach about the Holocaust and/or the genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, the Balkans, Sudan (Darfur), and the Middle East (Iraq and Syria).
In 2018, the THGC will award $1000 to one educator who demonstrates a record of excellence in engaging this subject with Texas students. The deadline for submission is 5:00 PM CST Thursday, February 1, 2018; the award winner will be notified in May, 2018.
Download our flyer for a quick reference to all the details.
Dr. Steinberger is a Holocaust survivor and served as a founding member of the Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission. She retired from the University of Texas Medical School in 2001, but has continued to demonstrate a commitment to education in Texas.
The applicant must...
- ...hold at least a bachelor's degree.
- ...be employed full-time as a teacher, curriculum specialist, or librarian at a public, charter, or private school in the state of Texas.
- ...have at least three (3) years of experience working with students.
- ...have a record of teaching or actively supporting the teaching of the Holocaust and/or genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia, Sudan, and the Middle East to students in grades 5-12.
The application must...
- ...include a current resume or curriculum vitae of no more than three (3) typed pages.
- ...include a letter of support from a Texan, preferably an immediate supervisor, colleague, student, or student's parent. The letter should be no more than one typed page, and should present the writer's perspective on why the applicant deserves the award. Have it ready to upload when you fill out this application.
- ...be received in its entirety by 5:00 PM CST on Thursday, February 1, 2018. No late applications will be accepted.
This application form is designed to be filled out electronically. Please contact J.E. Wolfson at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.