Stand Up for Someone’s Rights Today: Human Rights Day 2016
By Robin Lane
Every year, the United Nations organizes citizens of the world in commemoration of December 10, 1948 when the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Two years later, the Assembly designated December 10th as Human Rights Day.
The theme of this year’s Human Rights Day is “Stand up for someone’s rights today.” Speaking on this theme, the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNOHCHR) made a statement that they, “want to encourage, galvanize and recognize what you do in your daily life, along with millions of other people around the world, to stand up for human rights – in your workplace, on the sports field, at school, in the street, wherever you are.” We agree at the Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission that there is no better time than today, no better time than now, to take a stand for what’s right.
Along with this great list of ways to take action put together by the UNOHCHR, here are some of our own suggestions about how to make a difference today:
- be an upstander if you see bullying happening
- get involved with a local non-profit to make positive change in your community - volunteer or make a donation
- learn about the history of human rights day and the declaration of human rights
- learn about the history of the Holocaust and other genocides by visiting our state Holocaust museums in Dallas, El Paso, Houston, or San Antonio
- make a video for the THGC student video contest
- write an essay for our State of Deception student essay contest
- attend one of our teacher workshops
- tweet or post on Facebook using the hashtags #StandUp4HumanRights and #HumanRightsDay
All of these might seem like insignificant steps to take in the face of all of the human rights struggles facing us around the world today. But it is important to remember this, in the words of Malala Yousafzai, youth education activist: “One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.” It truly does not take a lot to make a difference. Start making one today!Tags: human rights human rights day united nations #standup4humanrights #humanrightsday holocaust thgc genocide texas holocaust and genocide commission education 2016 upstander student video contest workshops students educators contests