Texas Sunset Advisory Commission Invites Public Input on the
Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission
The Sunset Advisory Commission is reviewing the mission and performance of the Texas Holocaust and Genocide Commission (THGC) and welcomes public comments on whether the agency is still needed and ideas to improve its operations and services. The Texas Sunset Act requires the Sunset Commission to periodically review the THGC and recommend whether to continue the agency and change state law to improve the agency’s efficiency and effectiveness. The Legislature ultimately will decide whether to continue the THGC and adopt Sunset’s other statutory recommendations. The Sunset Commission also may adopt management directives for the THGC that do not require statutory change.
The Sunset process has three stages:
- First, Sunset staff will evaluate the THGC, seek public input, and issue a report recommending solutions to problems found.
- Second, the Sunset Commission will hold two public meetings: a hearing on the staff report and the agency, and a decision meeting to adopt recommendations to the Legislature based on the report and public comments.
- Third, the Legislature will convene in January 2021 and will consider Sunset’s statutory recommendations in a Sunset bill for the THGC.
Stay informed! Visit www.sunset.texas.gov to sign up for e-mail alerts on the Sunset staff report and the Sunset Commission’s public meetings on the THGC.
Now that the Sunset staff report has been published, stakeholders are welcomed and encouraged to respond to it by submitting public comment which will be posted to their website. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the uncertainty of scheduling public hearings, the Sunset Advisory Commission is requesting written testimony. Anyone wishing to submit written testimony into the record can do so according to the submission guidelines below. Submissions received in response to this request will be transmitted to members of the Sunset Advisory Commission and posted on the Sunset Advisory Commission website.
- All testimony must be submitted via email to email@example.com or mailed to P.O. Box 13066, Austin, TX 78711. Electronic submissions must be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF.
- Please include the following information in the submission: submitter name; organization or entity if applicable, including an authorized representative; e-mail; and telephone number.
- The deadline for all submissions is December 18, 2020.